Monday 30 July 2012

World Master's (July 2012)


Well what a week and what an experience. On Saturday 21st July nearly 800 competitors gathered in the beautiful main hall at Birmingham University to take part in the opening ceremony of the http://www.squashworldmasters.com/
On Sunday evening  Birmingham University's  Elgar Music Hall  was set up with the spectacular  'surround' glass backed  court to enjoy an exhibition match between World ranked no 1 James Willstrop and the young Indian World ranked No 25 (Saurav Ghosal)-
James wins the match  3-0 after a tight first game. Seeing The World no1 in the flesh, I was not the only one who was of the opinion that physically he does not appear to be a great athlete. In reading his recently published book
"A Shot and a Ghost" Willstrop more or less says the same about himself and the toll his severe  fitness training has taken on his "large frame"  over the years. You would never know this when you seeing him playing 'live!!!'
Back to lesser mortals, my first game was against a seeded player from Oxford England, Robert Warner at the famous Edgebaston Priory Squash and Tennis Club.I lost the first game and then had 5 game balls to make it one game all. Sadly could not convert and found myself 2-0 nil down. Took the third game and was back in with a great chance of taking out a seed. Unfortunately playing squash in temperatures in the very high 70's did not help me in my attempt to take the match any further-eventually losing the 2nd round match 1-3.
My opponent went on to be knocked out by Pierre Roodt from South Africa -- the eventual winner of my age  related section.
I entered The Main Plate competition were I managed to win four matches, before losing in the semi-finals. On the way to the semi finals I played an Englishman, a Frenchman, a 'Finlandian' and two Germans.
The squash was relatively easy compared to interpreting who had actually won the serve prior to the start of the game!!!

To sum up it was an amazing   to take part in a truly 'Global' squash experience. Many of the winners of the 'younger' age groups are ex professionals such as Derek Ryan, Craig Van der Wath and Nick Taylor and it was a 'bonus' to watch them all playing on the show court. The fitness levels of all the age related groups  is very high and quite inspirational!
In watching the winners of the O55's and O60's there is no doubt I would have to raise my fitness levels another 25% +. Oh dear it's an eye opener when you leave behind the comfort zone of your 'local' courts!

Towards the end of the week I found myself being interviewed by the Tournament's media man about the benefits of 'Eastern' style exercise systems [such as Tai chi] as a way of preventing injury in squash and sport in general. I guess there interest was as a result of the 2014 World Masters taking place in Hong Kong. The first squash court I ever stepped on in 1980 was next door  to  the Europe's first "China Town" situated in Liverpool city centre. Funny old game! (Report: Mike Hall)

No comments: